Working with the One Network, the local specialists for all things related to PE, sport, physical activity and wellbeing, we have gathered together some of the most up to date guidance and resources relating to PE and Sport Premium funding, and the benefits of PE and Physical Activity to support the well-being of your students and staff as pupils.
To keep informed of the latest news and support from Active Lincolnshire and the One Network sign up to our schools e-newsletter.
PE and Sport Premium Investment
The Department for Education’s (DfE) has announced it will continue the £320 million PE and Sport Premium investment for another academic year (2020/21).
For the latest government guidance on the use of PE and Sport Premium funding click here
For guidance or support on the effective use of the funding please contact Active Lincolnshire, a One Network partner, on email@example.com
PE and Sport Premium Information to note
Online reporting deadline
To help you plan, monitor and report on the impact of your spending, partners in the physical education and school sport sector have developed a template. The template can be accessed through the Youth Sport Trust website (see the pink tab and download the word version). It’s recommended that the template is used to record your activity throughout the year, as well as for publication at the end of the school year.
Flexibility to carry forward any unspent PE and sport premium grant funding
As a result of the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, the Department for Education has taken steps to relax the ring-fencing arrangements for the PE and sport premium in the 2019 to 2020 academic year to allow any unspent grant to be carried forward into the next academic year (2020 to 2021). Where schools are carrying forward under-spends, their published online report should set out the amount being carried forward and give brief reasons for this under-spend.
Any under-spends carried forward will need to be spent in full by 31 March 2021 and schools should factor this into spending plans for their 2020 to 2021 PE and sport premium allocation. The 2019 to 2020 conditions of grant document has been updated to reflect this exceptional amendment to the ring-fencing of the grant.
Resources and Guidance for Schools
- Top tips for Spending the Primary PE and Sport Premium (the Association for Physical Education) Read More
- A collection of online resources for schools are available on the Department for Education’s YouTube channel. Content includes creative and entertaining videos to help school staff to safely offer 30 active minutes in a Covid-secure environment.
- The impact of lockdown: The consequences of the coronavirus crisis for children living in poverty (report by The Childhood Trust) – Read more
- The impact of Covid-19 restrictions on children and young people (evidence paper by Youth Sport Trust) – Read more
- Response to Covid, linking to other important websites, parent, school and partner support and webinars on a range of topics linked to coronavirus, PE, sport, physical activity and wellbeing (resources from the Youth Sport Trust) – Read more
- Coronavirus support for schools to include guidance and resources translating the government guidance into practical ideas for delivering PE (resources from the Youth Sport Trust)– Read more
- Well Schools Movement- The purpose of the movement is to support schools to drive improvements in well-being for all teachers, senior leaders and young people by placing well-being at the very heart of schools. The movement is a coming together to drive change, share challenges and solutions and help us navigate all of the support that is already available. (resources from the Youth Sport Trust) Read more
- FAQ document: COVID_19 and PESPPA in a school setting – updated 29 September (the Association for Physical Education) Read More
- A practical self-review tool for COVID-19 risk assessment. Managing risk, maximizing opportunity (toolkit from the Association for Physical Education) – Read more
- The Safe Return of School Sport – A framework and planning tool (Youth Sport Trust) Read more
- Returning to the Pool Guidance for School Swimming (Swim England) Read more
ACTIVE LINCOLNSHIRE WEBINARS
October Schools Support Webinars
Active Lincolnshire on behalf of the One Network hosted a series of free school support webinars between Monday 19 – Thursday 22 October. Delivered by a selection of industry experts, these webinars are designed to inform and support anyone involved with the delivery of PE, School Sport and Physical Activity. Slides for the Webinars and links to the reocrdings are available on this page
PE, School Sport and Physical Activity
On Monday 28 September, The One Network are delivered an update of their PE, School Sport & Physical Activity webinar (originally delivered on the 15th July). The webinar provided updates and information on how to support your school through the use of sport and physical activity with a focus on the well-being of your pupils and teachers.
View the recording of the presentation here
Sport England Research and Resources
New research shows students and teachers report physical activity can improve pupils’ mood, confidence and schoolwork. Physically active children report improvements in their schoolwork, behaviour and mental health, according to research from Sheffield Hallam University.
The study, conducted on more than 60,000 students and 4,000 teachers, was part of Sport England’s Secondary Teacher Training programme (see below) and surveyed their attitudes to work, physical and mental health. Read more about the findings here
Secondary School PE Teacher Training
The Secondary School Teacher Training programme is a collaboration between Sport England, the Activity Alliance, the Association for Physical Education and the Youth Sport Trust, which provides funding and access to professional development opportunities for PE teachers across the country.
How to engage all pupils in PE, School Sport and Physical Activity
Click on the image on the left to open a pdf of the poster, outlining ways to engage pupils in all pupils in PE, School Sport and Physical Activity
Visit our Children & Young People’s Pages, for more information about our support and programmes for schools