23 year old Rachel Wallader is a Shot Put Athlete from Grantham.
Most memorable achievement:
My most memorable achievement so far is breaking the 16 metre barrier this year and placing myself on to the European rankings.
In the last 3 months I’ve had 3 competitions to end my 2012 season. I finished up with a win at Birmingham University Open and two second placing’s at the McCain Throws fest and the McCain Inter County Championships.
I do not have any current up and coming competitions for the 2012 season as this outdoor season has now finished for me. I have now started my preparation for the 2013 season with winter training. My training will now be geared towards the 2013 season.
This season I have gained my first senior International for England. I competed in Sweden for the shot put and gained a gold medal. I won the senior England championships a few weeks ago and also won a bronze medal at the Olympic trials in Birmingham. My Seasons best so far is 16.13m, I have maintained a higher throwing average this year than 2011. I still have a few more competitions left to gain the personal best I know I can produce if all comes together.
On the 4th March i competed in the Winter throws trials at Loughborough, this was a new competition organised soley for the throwing events.
I finished 1st with a throw of 16.07m
- Hull v Poland international 21/22nd April
- Southern League 28th April, London
- Worcester Counties 12/13th May, worcester
- Loughborough International, 20th May, Loughborough
- England Closed Senior Championship 2nd/3rd June, Birmingham
- UK Womens league or Bedford international games 9th/10th, Birmingham/Bedford.
- Olympic trials, Birmingham 22-24th June
- European Championships (possibly if i get the qualification) 27th-1st July, Helsinki
My aims and aspirations throughout these competitions will be to gain the European Championships qualification of 16.40m and the Olympics qualifications of 17.20m. I will be going warm weather training in the Easter holidays to get a solid weeks worth of training done in the ideal weather conditions, before and after this week i will be working hard contiuously on my power and technical aspects.